Salon feature: DTLE Salon
I’ve been searching for salons where I can get my hair done when I’m home in South Africa and feeling too lazy to do my own hair or when I’m in need of a trim and some professional TLC.
I’ve done my own hair for the last 2 years because the last time I went to a salon I left the place in tears. I’m tender headed, the stylist didn’t know what she was doing, refused to follow directions and then she ripped a small tooth comb through my tangled kinks while blow drying my hair. I was in so much pain I vowed never to go to another salon ever again.
Fast forward 2 years, I’m feeling braver and willing to give salons another chance.
Salon: Dezine Trendz Lifestyle Emporium (DTLE)
Address: Shop 8A Arts on Main, Cnr Berea and Main Street. (Next door the market)
Tel: 011 334 9395
I came across this salon last weekend when I went to the market at Arts on Main. I was attracted to the shop by the bring clothes on display outside. When I went in to see more, the lady in the store told me there was a nail bar and hair salon (that does natural hair) upstairs.
I went upstairs and spoke to the owner Ofentse. He was very open and friendly and told me a bit about the place. DTLE is a fashion lab, nail bar and hair salon that opened in February this year. The salon does all hair types and the stylists are willing to follow directions and work with the client to do what the client wants. Because they just opened, their natural hair products are limited so you can bring your own products from home if you want to for the stylist to work with.
To write a proper review of DTLE, I booked an appointment with their natural hair stylist, Really. I come back 2 days later for a wash and my first blow dry in 2 years for a length check. I used all of the salons products and didn’t give the stylist any directions. Here are the results:
What I liked:
- The location next door the market. I love the vibe in this area.
- I loved the comfy bed/couches by the basin. I was laying in a comfortable angle that didn’t strain my neck.
- The stylist Really was VERY gentle from start to finish.When she washed my scalp, she used the ball of her fingers and not her finger nails.
- She was willing to listen to what I wanted.
- The scalp treatment she used on my scalp.
- The service was great.
- I loved the creative, artsy space and the clothes on sale downstairs in the fashion lab
What I didn’t like:
- The stylist double washed my hair.
- She didn’t use heat protect before blow drying my hair.
- I felt my hair wasn’t moisturized properly.
- My hair wasn't straight enough after.
Products they carry for natural hair:
Organic Root Stimulator, Dr Miracle’s
Wash and deep condition- R80
Protective styles (weaves, braids, twists, cornrows etc.)- From R120
Appointments and walk-ins okay.
I recommend the salon for protective styles. I’d come back and give the stylist some direction on how I like my hair done.
(later that day)
About the Author
South African. World citizen. Currently based in Paris.
Traveler. Writer. Model. Teacher.