Conditioning Beer Rinse
My boyfriend always laughs at the “weird” stuff I put on my hair. Apparently everything in the kitchen ends up on my head. The weirdest thing he doesn’t know I do is what I do to his beer.
Beer can be used as a conditioning treatment for damaged and dull dry hair because the malt and hops in beer contain vitamin B and protein that coat the strands and help repair hair, while the maltose and sucrose sugars tighten the cuticles leading to shiny smooth hair, retained moisture and more body and elasticity.
You can use both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beer. Next, allow the beer to go flat then warm it up in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Wash your hair as you would normally do.
- Squeeze excess water from your hair.
- Pour the beer into your hair.
- Begin at your scalp. Work the beer through your hair with your fingertips and massage through to the ends of your hair.
- Work the beer through for 1-2 minutes.
- Cover with a plastic cap and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Rinse out with cool water.
- Dry and style as usual.
About the Author
South African. World citizen. Currently based in Paris.
Traveler. Writer. Model. Teacher.